Best Practices for Moving Data to the Cloud
Cloud computing is all the rage these days, and while some companies are moving their whole IT infrastructure to the cloud, many others are choosing to streamline their businesses by moving individual business applications.
If you are considering moving any of your company's software applications "to the cloud," make sure to consider these 5 tips BEFORE you make the move:
1. Back It Up! Migrating data to any new location can be tricky, and anything can go wrong. Therefore, make sure you have good, recent backups of everything before you pull the trigger.
2. Maintain an On-Site Copy. At first, moving to the cloud can be a bit scary. What can help mitiigate the risk (and the fear) is keeping a local, on-site copy of your data and network image on a NAS (network attached storage) device. That way you have a local on site copy in addition to the working cloud copy.
3. Have a "Plan B" to Access the Internet - One of the biggest questions about moving IT to the cloud is "What if the Internet goes down?" To mitigate that fail point, have a business-class Internet connection as your initial main way to connect, and then also have a second Internet connection service as a backup.
4. Use This As An Opportunity To Do Some Housekeeping. You could just copy and paste your files from your local machines into the cloud, but why not take this as an opportunity to reevaluate the structure and organization of that data? Ths might include re-evaluating your file organization structure, updating permission levels on files and even archiving of old files and ata that are currently cluttering up your server and costing you money by storing and backing them up.
5. Phase the Move. Don't try to mitigate everything all at once. Create a transition plan and implement it. Make sure you move your files in bite-size pieces so the changes are easy to digest for your clients, employees, partners and everyone else involved. This also gives you the opportunity to test the water before taking the plunge, and it allows you to put out one fire at a time instead of having all systems down or broken.
Call Us Today for more information about moving your data to the cloud. To Schedule a Free Cloud Readiness Assessment ($497 Value):
Call today: 877-843-5767.